Sunday, January 18, 2009

I don't really understand why whenever my family and I have a big get-together, I feel a lot more alone with them than when I was alone before they arrived. Maybe I am just a loner, but am I the only one who feels this way? I just feel so disconnected. Like we are not on the same page, perhaps not even reading the same book.

My mom is running around making sure everything is done and everybody is happy, so she is never around, and her face, of course, is always comforting. I'm never really sure what my dad is doing, I think last night he was cooking the hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill the whole party (it was my little brother Sammy's second birthday party last night). My aunt says "Hi." to me, after she strolls in an hour and a half late, and then is the first one to leave, and sometimes forgets to say bye. Disregarding the fact that three years ago, I was over at her house at least once a week. Now she is disconnected from the family, and I'm not really sure why.
I always feel like my dad's side of the family is uncomfortable, and it makes me sad. But then they make me uncomfortable with their unfailing ability to be louder than I thought possible. The kids run around, content and innocent, and I remember how awkward I am now, not a little girl but not by any means grown up. Nobody is able to relate to me, nobody is my age, nobody makes an effort to have a conversation. But I understand. I mean really, what is there to talk about with me?

They are my family; I am obligated to love, or at least tolerate, them. And I do love them. But really, why do I feel so... awkward and lonely and disconnected and so many other not-so-great adjectives whenever I see them?

2 comments:

  1. i'm sorry you have felt disconnected from our family for the past while. i think its a normal thing people go through at some point in their lives.... i remember feeling the same way as you do when i was around your age. its strange.... the more time i spend away at college, the fast you seem to mature and the more you mature, the more you remind me of me. bob and i had a conversation about that and he totally notices it too..... lucky you ey? ;) as far as familiar disconnection goes, i hope you can learn to accept and love all of your family for who they are, regardless of their shortcomings. to be family with someone is to do this, to love unconditionally, and to help eachother. next time an event is happening, extend a hand to someone you see... you don't have to wait for someone to come to you, relate to you, to feel close to your family. if you try to relate to your family they will relate to you more and hopefully make you feel more in place. i'm also glad that our relationship has changed so much over the past few months and i hope that you feel like talking to someone, you are comfortable coming to me.

    love you sista.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are most definitely at *that* age...we all remember it...us old folks anyway. part of it is that the family does have some "disconnections" right now which is uncomfortable for all of us...so from that respect u are right on in picking up on the vibe. part of it is u are no longer a child & not quite an adult...so for the time being, don't take it personally, jump in & play with the kids & talk boring adult stuff...it'll help u enjoy the family time more...& u just might learn something or make a new friend ;) loveu, aunt robyn

    ReplyDelete